Tag Archives: Residential Visits

How to build a Bivvy

Every year Y6 spend their last days in the woods by making a bivvy and then sleeping under it for a night.

This is how to make a strong and sturdy bivvy:

1. First you need to clear out a flat area, remember to make sure that there are no sticks left on the floor as it is not comfortable to be sleeping on them especially as you are not sleeping on a mattress!

2. After you have cleared your area collect lots of heavy sticks, this will help a lot in the night if it is quite windy or rainy.

3. Get the right size tarpaulin, this will save a lot of time when it comes to packing up and it ensures that you will not get wet if it rains. Don’t worry it’s not common for it to fall in on you in the night!

4. Make sure your string is tight as it will have tarps on it and tarps are quite heavy for string.

5. Look for any small bumps on the floor as just a small stick or stem can dig in to your back and can hurt for a long time.

6. Hang your torches from the ceiling as it will act as a ceiling light.

7. Make sure you sleep as close as possible to the nearest person, this will help keep you warmer in the night as it can get very cold!

8. Try to keep your shoes outside as you do not want to get mud on your bivvy ground sheets!

Have a look at our pictures. Do you think we did a good job?

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Captain Philimore’s Woods

The sun rose, birds chirped, another beautiful day had begun. Whispers of excitement disturbed the peace, and thirty small children slowly appeared through the trees.

They sat beneath me, my leaves and branches towered above their heads as they ran through the woods yelling with joy and happiness.I smiled silently inside as I gazed at them adoringly as I did every year with each group of children that came. Little did they know, they had a lot more excitement to come.

Years passed, and I watched the same group grow and change each time they came. Finally, they were older than all the other children who came to visit, and it was time for them to spend the night.

Bivvies were built, songs were sung.The camp fire roared underneath me and I could feel the warmth from the flickering flames below.

The sweet smell of hot chocolate rose into the air and nightfall slowly began to close in. Shimmering stars emerged in the dark sky as the once-tiny children prepared themselves for the long night ahead.

I sighed as the frosty wind whistled through my leaves. I heard a long creak from one of the other trees nearby and a group of exhausted looking girls stumbled by. Were they in danger? The tree must’ve been close to falling down.

I wondered what had happened as the night passed me by, and the morning sunlight shone brightly in the sky.

A fox, its vivid scarlet fur blowing in the gentle breeze and its amber eyes gleaming in the dappled sunlight, crept underneath me, and sniffed around where the children had sat last night. It was quickly disturbed by a yawn from a nearby tent that sent it flying into the thick undergrowth nearby.

Birds sung their cheerful melodies and, one by one, the children appeared from their tents. Breakfast was soon over with, and all bivvies packed away. The children walked away quietly down the silent field, no doubt remembering boggarts and prayer sticks and other memories from before.

I stared as they went, wishing them a quiet goodbye as they glanced back, turned the corner, and were gone without a word.

By Catherine Y6