Captain Philimore’s Woods

The sun rose, birds chirped, another beautiful day had begun. Whispers of excitement disturbed the peace, and thirty small children slowly appeared through the trees.

They sat beneath me, my leaves and branches towered above their heads as they ran through the woods yelling with joy and happiness.I smiled silently inside as I gazed at them adoringly as I did every year with each group of children that came. Little did they know, they had a lot more excitement to come.

Years passed, and I watched the same group grow and change each time they came. Finally, they were older than all the other children who came to visit, and it was time for them to spend the night.

Bivvies were built, songs were sung.The camp fire roared underneath me and I could feel the warmth from the flickering flames below.

The sweet smell of hot chocolate rose into the air and nightfall slowly began to close in. Shimmering stars emerged in the dark sky as the once-tiny children prepared themselves for the long night ahead.

I sighed as the frosty wind whistled through my leaves. I heard a long creak from one of the other trees nearby and a group of exhausted looking girls stumbled by. Were they in danger? The tree must’ve been close to falling down.

I wondered what had happened as the night passed me by, and the morning sunlight shone brightly in the sky.

A fox, its vivid scarlet fur blowing in the gentle breeze and its amber eyes gleaming in the dappled sunlight, crept underneath me, and sniffed around where the children had sat last night. It was quickly disturbed by a yawn from a nearby tent that sent it flying into the thick undergrowth nearby.

Birds sung their cheerful melodies and, one by one, the children appeared from their tents. Breakfast was soon over with, and all bivvies packed away. The children walked away quietly down the silent field, no doubt remembering boggarts and prayer sticks and other memories from before.

I stared as they went, wishing them a quiet goodbye as they glanced back, turned the corner, and were gone without a word.

By Catherine Y6

1 thought on “Captain Philimore’s Woods