Category Archives: Year R

Year of the Monkey!

It was an exciting time in KS 1 this afternoon when Elysia Pateman’s grandmother (‘Ah yun’) came to visit. This week we are studying the Chinese New Year and the culture and traditions about this important time in the Chinese calendar. She brought all her wonderful knowledge about the Chinese New Year together with lots of activities for us to share. We gave oranges to our teachers (symbols of gold), we danced like a Chinese dragon, ate noodles

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

and even wore traditional Chinese clothes.

Thank you to Lyn Ng and Kung Hei Fat Choi to everyone!

African Counting Books

Year one have made and published books for Year R! We made sure we had described the movement of the animals and how they look and feel.  The day had arrived to present our books to Year R and read them to the children. We remember receiving ours last year so this was a very special and exciting occasion! They really enjoyed hearing and looking at the brilliant pictures, the books will stay in their book corner to read all year.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Yet another exciting day for Robins and Wrens.

Thankfully the sun came out on Thursday afternoon just in time for our first welly walk of the year.  We all donned our welly boots and waterproof trousers for an adventure around the school grounds and fields.  There was so much to discover: secret paths and hideouts, woodchip mountains, not to mention a whole assortment of trees some complete with nests and acorns galore to gather.

The fun did not stop there for Year R as we also had the chance to spend some time exploring the play trail.  What an active bunch Wrens and Robins are proving to be.  There were some very skillful manoeuvres over, under and along the equipment and lots of smiles and laughter were to be seen and heard.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

First day for full time robins and wrens!

All our full timers were raring to go this morning, looking so smart in their school uniforms. We have been doing so much today its a good job its the weekend so we can be ready to begin again on Monday! The children have explored the school, looking out for brothers and sisters along the way. There was some excellent sitting, listening to instructions and rules so that we can all stay safe and look after things in school. We had carrots and milk for snack and fish fingers and pasta for lunch. There were stories and songs and we even found time for a bit of counting and work on the interactive whiteboard. And of course throughout the day we did so much playing and learning that we ran out of time for tidying up!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

First day in school for our new Robins and Wrens!

We had some very excited robins and wrens waiting to meet us when we opened the door this morning and what a busy day we have had! There was some super listening to instructions, all sitting beautifully on the carpet and some excellent lining up as we explored the school, looking out for brothers and sisters on the way. We collected our snacks and helped to stick up displays. We all enjoyed our school dinners and packed lunches and met the cooks and dinner ladies including our very own, Mrs Banjo, who looks after us in the playground. We had some stories and joined in with some singing. And on top of all that we still found time for lots of learning and playing. All the grown ups were really pleased with the tidying up at the end of the day and then we sat in a circle and talked about what we had enjoyed doing. Benjamin summed up everyones thoughts when he said “I’VE HAD THE BEST DAY EVER!”

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Q & A with Bishop Christopher

The children were very excited to welcome the Church of England’s Bishop of Portsmouth, the Rt Rev Christopher Foster. He is responsible for the 142 parishes which make up the Portsmouth Diocese, which includes south-east Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.

His office, Bishopsgrove, is located in Fareham, whereas the diocesan offices are based in Portsmouth, near the cross-channel ferry port. His cathedral is in Old Portsmouth.

Bishop Christopher came to school this morning to bless our school garden. He visited St Barnabas to join  the Juniors in their Wednesday Church service which was led by Year 5. Then he went to meet all the infant class where each School Councilor was primed and ready to ask some very deep and meaningful questions! Here are the responses:

Do you get any days off?  Yes, I have Friday off and Sunday is my public day rather than my busiest day.

Are there any female Bishops? Yes, in the last few weeks and months there have been female Bishops. We now have four in our local area. It was hard to change as Bishops are meant to be like disciples who where were all male.

Do you like your job? Yes, I love it as it is so varied and I get to meet so many interesting people and visit lots of places like schools and prisons.

Do you feel special or do you feel just like a normal person? I am just a normal person with a very special job. I visit hospitals, prisons and yesterday I took homeless people to the House of Lords.

Do you support a football team? Yes, I support Wolverhampton Wanderers because I grew up living near Wolverhampton.

What does a Bishop do? A Bishop is a priest who has three main responsibilities. The first is to look after all of the churches and communities like Swanmore. The second to be a Vicar for all of the Vicars and their families. Finally I look after and visit people in prisons and hospitals. I am also a member of the House of Lords.

Are you married and do you have children? Yes, I am married to Sally and I have two children. My son Richard is a history teacher and my daughter Miriam is a barrister.

Who goes to Heaven? We can all go to Heaven. We must try and be kind and generous. Heaven makes us closer to God.

Do you play any musical instruments? Yes, I used to play the viola but not very much now.

What does it mean ‘to bless’? A blessing is when we pray the very best for something or someone. So when I bless the garden we will pray our best to God to look after the garden and make things grow.

Are you good at painting? No, I’m not very good at painting pictures, but I am good at painting the house and doing DIY.

Do you do good writing? I used to but I ought to try harder.

Thank you Bishop Christopher for answering all of questions. We hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.

Robins and Wrens have a wonderful day at the farm!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

What excitment not only did we visit Longdown Activity Farm on Monday but we actually went on a double decker bus – Awesome and the highlight of the day for some!  A day of feeding, grooming and cuddling as well as discovering the delights of a bumpy trailer-tractor ride.   All our young farmers had a fun day of learning how to look after and farm animals and learned the correct names for the male, female and young of each one.  We are looking forward to exploring the world of farming futher in our playing and learning.

Sweetpea shop in Robins and Wrens!

Robins and Wrens have been as busy as bees planting seeds. We wrote on labels so we would know what colour the sweetpeas would be. Then we planted 6 seeds and watered them and put them into the polytunnel where it is very wrm. When they have grown we would like you to buy them with your money and we will will give the money to the St Georges foundation.

Lead this way to Robins and Wrens to buy them on Tuesday 9th June in the afternoon.

See you there and you will see the flowers!

Kobe   Andrew  Reuben  Hadyn

Do YOU like growing flowers?

Robins and Wrens have been busy planting seeds ready for our plant sale.  We planted lots of different sweetpes … they were pink, white, purple, plum and mixed colours. We put them in the polytunnel to keep them safe and warm. When they have grown we are going to sell them to get money for the St Georges foundation for the children who have no mummies and daddies. Please come to our plant sale and bring your money and then you can enjoy the colours as you plant them in your garden and watch them grow.

See you there on Tuesday 9th June at 2.45-4 o’clock.  Leon  Bella  Arabella  Oliver   Tyler  Marcel  Charlotte  Jacob

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Visit Year R garden Centre!

Are you a keen gardener? Year R are growing sweetpea flowers to sell for charity. You can choose from purple, pink, white, plum, or mixed colours. We are looking after them very well and hoping they will grow really well ready for our plant sale on Tuesday 9th June at 2.45-4 o’clock.Please bring your money to school so you can make your garden pretty this summer. seb  Iris   anna  oliver  eleanor

This slideshow requires JavaScript.